• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Mathematics 2012 P32 QP and Solution

Reaction score
I was so bored that I decided to solve the 2012 Mathematics P32 and then again due to extreme boredom, I decided to scan it and post it on XPF :p might help those guys who were looking for the correct solution to all the questions. The file can be downloaded from here:

http://www.4shared.com/office/Q1HwBwNr/Mathematics_P32_2012_Marking_S.html?

The answer to Q7(i) is '-1/2 + 1/2i'.

I am also attaching the question paper which was sent to me by Prisonbreak94.

Q10(iii) solution also attached. Shared by aaditya menon.

Attachments

• Math P32 2012 (1).JPG
    Math P32 2012 (1).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 192
  • Math P32 2012 (2).JPG
    Math P32 2012 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • Math P32 2012 (3).JPG
    Math P32 2012 (3).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • Answer 10iii.pdf
    435.2 KB · Views: 142
Reaction score
You have done a very tiny mistake in 7 (iii) but dosn't matter!

Why havent you done the last part of vector question?

Reaction score
I don't have my scanner right now but since the last part of q10 isn't here i'll just give the answer.

the two position vectors of P were (7,4,5) and (3,2,1) respectively. distance between the two Ps was 6

Reaction score
You have done a very tiny mistake in 7 (iii) but dosn't matter!

Why havent you done the last part of vector question?

I didn't know how to do it. Secondly, I wonder what the mistake is. Question 7iii in this paper is the same as Q7iii which came in June 2006.

Reaction score
I didn't know how to do it. Secondly, I wonder what the mistake is. Question 7iii in this paper is the same as Q7iii which came in June 2006.
That vector part someone solved, see above.
For complex number question,
See attachments:aasdq1.png
aasdq2.png

Reaction score
ffaadyy:
I want to ask that in that stationary point question, i copied the question wrongly and solved using cos^2 initially

Will i get method marks ?

Reaction score
ffaadyy:
I want to ask that in that stationary point question, i copied the question wrongly and solved using cos^2 initially

Will i get method marks ?

I guess you'll get some marks because if according to 'cos^2 x' your final answer will be correct, error carry forward will be applied over there then.

Reaction score
That vector part someone solved, see above.
For complex number question,
See attachments:View attachment 10150
View attachment 10151

I mistakenly wrote the '-' sign instead of the '+' sign, I am trying to correct that in the pdf. Secondly, I guess that the '- [tan^-1 (3)]' you've written is wrong. Because, in no way we can put a '-' sign behind '[tan^-1 (3)]' just because it was '[tan^-1 (-3)]'. It would've been correct had you written it like this '2pi - [tan^-1 (3)]'. Just like you did for 'tan^-1 ( -1)'. Let me put it like this, tan^-1 [(1/2)/(-1/2)] lies in the second quadrant so you've written it like this 'pi - pi/4'. Just like this, tan^-1 (-3/1) lies in the fourth quadrant which means that you should've written it like '2pi - tan^-1 (-3/1)'.

Reaction score
I mistakenly wrote the '-' sign instead of the '+' sign, I am trying to correct that in the pdf. Secondly, I guess that the '- [tan^-1 (3)]' you've written is wrong. Because, in no way we can put a '-' sign behind '[tan^-1 (3)]' just because it was '[tan^-1 (-3)]'. It would've been correct had you written it like this '2pi - [tan^-1 (3)]'. Just like you did for 'tan^-1 ( -1)'. Let me put it like this, tan^-1 [(1/2)/(-1/2)] lies in the second quadrant so you've written it like this 'pi - pi/4'. Just like this, tan^-1 (-3/1) lies in the fourth quadrant which means that you should've written it like '2pi - tan^-1 (-3/1)'.
Mathematics: Post your doubts here!
Im 100% sure that what i did is correct!
Checked in many books arg can be negative it is in 3rd or 4th quadrant!

Reaction score
smzimran: Did you try attempting the vector question part iii? I had done it till the part where we had kept both the perpendicular distances equal and then cancelled out the 3's in the denominator. Any idea if I'll be getting any marks for this?

Reaction score
smzimran: Did you try attempting the vector question part iii? I had done it till the part where we had kept both the perpendicular distances equal and then cancelled out the 3's in the denominator. Any idea if I'll be getting any marks for this?
Yes i did it successfully i got the two values of lambda but i left it till there because i did not read the question completely that we had to find the perp. distance! :(

After the paper my friend told me that we had to...

If i had read that properly, i would have found it easily because i had done the tricky part, which is finding lambda!

ffaadyy: Did you not attempt it at all ?

Reaction score
Yes i did it successfully i got the two values of lambda but i left it till there because i did not read the question completely that we had to find the perp. distance! :(

After the paper my friend told me that we had to...

If i had read that properly, i would have found it easily because i had done the tricky part, which is finding lambda!

ffaadyy: Did you not attempt it at all ?

I did but didn't complete it. Like I said above, I stopped at the point where we had kept both the perpendicular distances equal and cancelled out the 3's in the denominator.

Reaction score
I did but didn't complete it. Like I said above, I stopped at the point where we had kept both the perpendicular distances equal and cancelled out the 3's in the denominator.
Time problem or you were not getting how to do it ?